2014 Symposium on Emerging Issues
Presented by Women’s Policy Forum and Women’s Policy Forum Foundation
November 14, 2014, 8 a.m. to 12 noon ~ Fort Worth City Club
Registration/Breakfast 8 to 8:30 a.m.
Keynote speaker: Ann Beeson 8:30 a.m.
“The Future of Texas and the Path to Opportunity”
Native Texan Ann Beeson, is a nationally recognized lawyer who has argued twice before the U.S. Supreme Court. After many years as an executive in law and philanthropy in New York, Ms. Beeson has moved back to Austin where she is currently the Executive Director of the Center for Public Policy Priorities. She has been named a “Global Leader for Tomorrow” by the World Economic Forum, one of the nation’s top lawyers by the American Lawyer Magazine, and one of the 50 most influential women lawyers in America by the National Law Journal.
Breakout Sessions: 9:45 a.m. to 10 a.m.; 11 a.m. to 12 noon
(Repeating breakout sessions; choose two)
How Technology is Rewiring our Brains
* Dr. Jeanne Gerlach, Dean, College of Education and Health Professions, UT Arlington
* Paula McMillen Williamson, Executive Director, Kinderplatz of Fine Arts
* Dr. Marc Schwartz, Director, Southwest Center for Mind, Brain and Education, UT Arlington
Components of Healthy Sustainable Communities
* Sam A. Adamie, Tarrant County Public Health Department
* Donald Gatzke, School of Architecture, UT Arlington
* Jan Titsworth, Executive Director, Blue Zones | Fort Worth
Balancing Open Government and Privacy Rights: The Debate Heightens
* Moderator: Alan Saxe, Political Science Professor and Political Analyst, UT Arlington
* O.K. Carter, Secretary, Board of Trustees, Tarrant County College District; former publisher of
the Arlington Star-Telegram
* Jason Lamers, Chief of Staff, Office of Mayor and City Council, City of Fort Worth
* Gayle Reaves, Editor, Fort Worth Weekly